Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Never Alone

Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice,
And be gracious to me and answer me.
When You said, “Seek My face,” my heart said to You,
“Your face, O Lord, I shall seek.”
Do not hide Your face from me,
Do not turn Your servant away in anger;
You have been my help;
Do not abandon me nor forsake me,
O God of my salvation!
For my father and my mother have forsaken me,
But the Lord will take me up.
(Psalm 27:7-10)


Has God abandoned me? I don't know if you have ever asked yourself this question, but I have. For me it is a truly terrifying prospect to consider. Thankfully there is a sure answer to this question.

No.

God does not abandon His children. He has told us in His Word: "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you" (Hebrews 13:5). Jesus added "No one will snatch them out of My hand...and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand" (John 10:28-29). 

So why do we struggle with this thought? Perhaps it is because God's faithfulness is other worldly. In our world it takes a bad parent, a terrible circumstance or both for a child to be disowned. But it does happen. Our streets are flooded with homeless men, women and even teens whose parents have done just that. Some are cut off from their families because they cause too many headaches. They are too needy. Others are disowned because they have committed some grave sin that their family finds unforgivable. 

This passage gives me immeasurable comfort by saying that even if there was a situation in which my own parents would disown me, God will not. Even for those whose parents have abandoned them, even then - especially then - God was there, ready and waiting, to take you into His care. You need only look to Him to receive comfort and grace. No matter how much trouble you are in, no matter how far gone you are, if you have been adopted into God's family through faith in Jesus Christ, then you are never abandoned, never forsaken,  never alone.

No comments: