Wednesday, May 11, 2016

God's Not Like Me

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not My ways.” This is the Lord’s declaration. “For as heaven is higher than earth, so My ways are higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8-9


I'm not very good at forgiveness. I haven't been deeply wronged by many people in my life, but the times I have felt mistreated I responded pretty poorly. Forgiveness, grace, and redemption are all easier to talk about than to live out. Thank goodness God is nothing like me! His ways and thoughts are infinitely higher and better than my ways and thoughts as He himself is infinitely higher and better than me.

This applies not just to God's personal holiness and perfection, but also in how He deals with wicked people like me. He not only beckons sinners to come to Him but He does so in incomparably beautiful terms.
"Come, everyone who is thirsty, come to the waters; and you without money, come, buy, and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost! Why do you spend money on what is not food, and your wages on what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and you will enjoy the choicest of foods. Pay attention and come to Me; listen, so that you will live. (Isaiah 55:1-3a)

What a God we serve! The thirsty drink, the bankrupt eat, the "good stuff" (i.e. wine and milk) are given away for free, and all are satisfied. He offers compassion and free forgiveness, but what must one do to take advantage of this offer?
Seek the Lord while He may be found; call to Him while He is near. Let the wicked one abandon his way and the sinful one his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, so He may have compassion on him, and to our God, for He will freely forgive. (Isaiah 55:6-7)

God freely forgives any who will come. No restrictions or requirements are placed on His offer beyond the person simply turning from their sin toward God. For the person thinking, "Getting God's forgiveness can't be that easy." God says, "I'm not like you. I'm different. My ways are not your ways. My thoughts are not your thoughts."

Thank you, Heavenly Father for being different than me.

No comments: